A little late to the game today but here we go a recipe that you can hopefully use this weekend.
I don’t know about you but I find myself buying the same things every time I grocery shop. I always try to change up the meals I make, you know spice things up, but I definitely have my usuals…This last week when I was ordering groceries (YES, I order online and YES, it is AMAZING!!) I decided to change things up…This time of year there are so many beautiful varieties of squash and root vegetables in season so I decided to buy more in season produce. One thing I added were parsnips. I actually really like parsnips but never, ever think to buy them. If a recipe doesn’t call for them or someone else isn’t serving them then we aren’t eating them at our house and I don’t know why.
So, what do you do with parsnips… Well, first off if you don’t know much about parsnips here is some quick info:
- They are a root vegetable in the carrot family, but are slightly sweeter than carrots, YUM!
- They are high in fiber, Vitamin C, B Vitamins, manganese, magnesium potassium and calcium.
- Research has shown that they have anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-cancer properties…parsnips for the WIN.
I was super excited about these parsnips but wasn’t too sure what everyone else was going to think, you know as soon as you change things up everyone turns up their noses, claiming “I don’t like parsnips” before they even try them?!? This causes major eye rolling on my part…maybe this only happens in this house? Anyway, I decided to mix parsnips with carrots just to be on the safe side…
I was scanning parsnip recipes online and came across roasted parmesan parsnip fries which sounded delish but I have also been wanting to incorporate more turmeric into our meals, because hello turmeric is sooo good for you (if you missed the post on turmeric a few weeks back you have to read it after this). So, I made these Garlic Roasted Turmeric Parsnips and added some parmesan cause the parmesan parsnip fries sounded so good and they were sooo yummy!!! Everyone ate them up and they were a nice change to the usual veggie sides I make.
Garlic Roasted Turmeric Parsnips…with some Parmesan!
- 3 large parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 T turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Wash and peel your parsnips and carrots and then cut into finger length strips.
- Toss in olive oil, add spices and garlic and toss again.
- Sprinkle with half of the parmesan.
- Bake for 15mins. Take out and toss then cover with the rest of the parmesan and bake for another 10 to 15mins depending on how soft you like your veggies. I did 10 mins and they still had a nice crunch to them.