This is 34.
I’ve recently completed another trip around the sun. Birthdays have always been a strange thing for me as I’m one of those rare Leap Year babies (or as my friend Ian would say, I’m a Leapling) and people never quite know on those non-leap years when I celebrate. Truth be told, I never really liked the idea of birthdays as I didn’t like the idea of getting older. I did, however, appreciate that you are reminded on your birthday of all the people that make up the fabric of your life and how loved you really are. Thanks, Facebook lol.
I felt inspired by a dear friend to write about the 34 things that make me, me. These are the things that I know for sure…
- My life gets better every single year. Period.
- Making time for fitness is paramount to my success. The answer to everything is to have a good sweat.
- I have the choice; every day I get to show up and decide how I react, how I feel and how I make those around me feel.
- Grief and joy can exist together at the same time and that is nothing to feel guilty about.
- Laughter changes everything.
- Disagreement does not mean there is less love, it means there is more to learn.
- On that note: I’ve got a lot to learn.
- When I’m vulnerable and say what it is that I’m seeking, the universe almost always opens the door. Being ready to walk through the door is the difficult part.
- It’s ok to ask for help. In fact, people that love you want to be able to help. It makes them feel good, too.
- Travel and culture are my greatest teachers. Do as the Italians do, and go to Italy to learn what that is.
- I’m an introvert. I feel energized by being alone or with my close circle. It feels liberating to say that out loud.
- If people think I can do it all, I’ve not shown my authentic self.
- I’m my best and happiest self when I’m in nature.
- Being a mom has kicked my ass. My parents are superheroes.
- My daughter has taught me true patience and unconditional love. She has changed me for the better.
- I’m learning to listen to myself and when the answer is “I should” instead of “I want to”, it’s time to re-evaluate.
- Time is my currency. I want to spend it more wisely.
- I’m on the verge of a fundamental change in my life. It’s exciting and terrifying.
- I want my daughter to remember this: always, always be kind.
- Let’s get real: I will never be able to commit to flossing my teeth every day. I’m over it.
- Fear, in every capacity, is my greatest obstacle.
- When I live outside my comfort zone I find my greatest joy.
- If I’m going to spend the calories, I always make sure it’s on good wine.
- Community and connectedness are what I seek most, and when I lack these things I lack true contentment.
- Gratitude is a muscle. I need to flex it every damn day in order for it to grow.
- I feel most grounded in clean, calm and beautiful spaces.
- If a task takes less than 5 minutes to complete, do it right away. Procrastination kills productivity.
- I want to create a life that I don’t feel I need to take a vacation from.
- Tapping into creativity helps me achieve my highest and best self. Practice art in whatever form that fills your cup.
- I feel most purposeful when I am helping myself and others achieve a healthy lifestyle.
- I have to be mindful and conscious to instill everything above. It does not come naturally to me.
- Yoga and meditation are life.
- My life mantra: be present over perfect.
- Aging is a privilege. Act like it.